We are core non-vegetarians but being from the coastal areas of western India we are hard-core fish lovers. There needs to be at least one fish item on the meal plate daily for us. A fish curry and a fried rawa masala fish are the regular items.
So to break the regular monotony, I decided to prepare something different from the regular fish masala rawa fry yet fried. So lets jump to the recipe.
- Red Snapper Fillet, cut into 5-6 medium-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 boiled potato
- 1 tsp chopped green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp chicken masala
- few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped
- salt as per taste
- 1 beaten egg
- bread crumbs for rolling
- oil for frying
- I usually keep the fish pieces marinated with turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt so that I can use them as is for masala rawa fry. Here to I used them as is and boiled the pieces till soft and cooked. If not then boil the cleaned and washed fish pieces in water with some turmeric powder and salt.
- Once boiled, de-skin and remove the flesh.
- Grate the boiled potato and add it to the fish flesh.
- Add the onion, chillies, ginger-garlic paste, all spice powders and salt as per taste. Also add the chopped coriander leaves.
- Mix well and form a lump. Check the taste and add any ingredient if required as per your taste.
- Take little portion of the mixture and form into a golf size ball. You can also form them into flat disc shape like patties. Take care that the mixture does not become watery. If it does you can add rice flour or bread crumbs into the mixture till the desired consistency is achieved.
- Some suggest that the patties or the croquettes need to refrigerated for around 10 mins so that they don’t lose their shape while frying. However, I did not refrigerate them and still did not face any issues of shape or form loss.
- Heat oil in a saucepan for deep-frying. Instead of deep frying, a healthy version can be frying these in an appe pan with less oil.
- Dip the balls into the beaten egg and then roll into the bread crumbs so that they are completely covered.
- Fry them till golden brown. Enjoy!!