This recipe is passed on to me by my mum. It’s nothing but sooji halwa or semolina dessert in cake or loaf form. I have always relished this since my childhood. So would like to share it with you.
- 2 – 3 medium-sized bananas
- 1 tbsp ghee/ clarified butter
- 1 cup semolina (sooji)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- salt as per taste
- Heat ghee in a pan. Once hot, roast the semolina till slightly roasted but take care it doesn’t turn brown.
- In a mixie, mash banana with sugar.
- Once the semolina is cooled, add the mashed banana sugar mix into the roasted semolina.
- Try to remove the left over banana mix from blender blending the milk. Then add this milk into the semolina.
- Now add the cardamom powder, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Grease a loaf pan and pour the contents into it.
- Bake this in an oven preheated at 350 F for around 25-30 mins or till a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Enjoy the cake for dessert or snack time.
I understand that most of my posts these days are connected to Johnson’s farm. Being a fading crop this month, blueberry picking was only for recreation purpose.We could pick very few around a cup or half a pound I guess.
So many choices were going on in my mind blueberry sauce or jam or cake or just eat them like a fruit. Finally I decided to bake an eggless blueberry cake. I apologize that I could not take any photos during the batter making process as I baked this cake in a hurry.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar ( you can add 2-4 tbsp more depending on how sweet you need it to be)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup thoroughly washed and paper towel dried blueberries
- Pre-heat oven at 350 F.
- Grease and line a 9 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- In another bowl, beat sugar and oil together till it becomes fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract, milk and yoghurt and beat further till you achieve a smooth consistency.
- In the flour mix, add the blueberries and mix.
- Fold in th dry ingredient blueberry mix into the wet ingredients.
- Put this batter into the greased lined loaf pan and bake for around 55-60 mins or till a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out smooth.
- Allow it to cool for half an hour on a cooling rack.
- Dust some icing sugar over it and slice and serve with tea.