A year ago, at a family friend’s get together, we all friends were discussing about ice creams. I happened to mention to them that recently I happened to try avocado ice cream. While the discussion was on, one of my friend’s expressed her wish to relish butterscotch ice cream. She told me that if ever you try butterscotch ice cream at home do let me know. I don’t mind driving to your house, for more than two long hours just to relish the ice cream, she said. She also mentioned that after coming to US, she tried many butterscotch ice cream but, non gave her that satisfaction that she got after she had any such ice cream back in India.
From that day onwards, it always ringed in my mind that I have to try out butterscotch ice cream for this friend of mine. I started exploring various recipes on the internet. Almost, all mentioned the use of butterscotch essence. But to my dismay, butterscotch essence I could not readily find in the US marts around me. I tried arranging it through friends travelling to and fro to India but in vain.
Finally we only had to plan a month-long India trip during which I bought the essence. As soon as I was back to US, I decided to try out the finalized recipe explored on YouTube by cookingshooking. I did accomplish my task and fulfilled my friend’s wish. She was delighted and just loved it. I am so happy 😊
For the Praline :
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- a greased metal plate
For the Ice cream :
- 1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3-1/2 cup powdered or icing sugar (you can adjust the sugar as per your liking)
- 1/2 cup milk
- praline as desired
- 1 1/2 tsp butterscotch essence
- pinch yellow food color (optional)
- airtight container to store the ice cream
- Place the bowl (in which you shall beat the cream) and the beater attachment in the freezer at least for half an hour.
- Heat a pan and once hot caramelize the sugar on low flame stirring continuously.
- Once caramelized, add the butter and nuts and mix well.
- Transfer it into the greased plate and spread it in a thin layer on the plate. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, remove it by pressing the bottom of plate. Crush the praline into smaller chunks or powder.
- In cooled bowl, beat the whipping cream to stiff peaks.
- Once double in volume, add the sugar and beat further till well mixed.
- Then fold in the milk, essence,praline and food color till well incorporated. Reserve some praline for garnish.
- Pour the ice cream in an air tight container and garnish with remaining praline.
- Allow to set overnight. You can even serve the scoop sprinkling some praline over the scoop. You can also beat the ice cream midway while it is just about to set but not yet set and then allow it to set again. However this is optional.