I first happened to taste them as a teenager at some holiday homes. I had been there with my cousin’s family. They had this same kind of fish fingers served with a white mayo sauce. Even after exploring so many places in US I could not find that or even similar tasting fish fingers.
I was like still in search of that perfect fish finger with white sauce combo. While I was talking to my husband about this, I realized that he had never tasted something like that. That’s the moment, I decided that I should find the recipe soon.
I explored many and following the given recipe I could achieve much similar version that I had tasted in my teenage.
- 150-200 gms any white fish fillet. I used Tilapia
- 1 tsp mustard sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour
- Breadcrumbs for coating
- Oil for deep frying
For the sauce :
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 thin spring onions, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of black pepper powder
- Cut the fish fillet into thin finger length strips.
- Marinate the fish pieces with salt, lemon juice and pepper powder for 15 mins.
- In bowl, mix mustard sauce, garlic, salt, egg and all purpose flour. To this add the marinated fish pieces and combine them well so that they are well coated.
- Allow them to stand for another 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- Dip the fish fingers in breadcrumbs and coat them well.
- Deep fry them in oil till golden brown on low-medium flame.
- Remove on an absorbent paper.
- For the tartare sauce, combine mayo, onions, coriander leaves, salt, lemon juice and pepper powder. Mix well.
- Garnish the fish fingers with chopped coriander leaves and serve with tartare sauce.