I had tried to bake bread long time bake which did not turn out that good. After that though I had a willingness to bake bread, I didn’t dare to as it was a tedious job involving lots of muscle power for kneading and proofing time.
Mid November approached and the deals for Black Friday started coming up. An eye catcher deal for me under kitchen section was the Kitchenaid Stand Mixer. I was like in two minds however the deal was awesome. I was almost getting it at half the actual price.
Finally I bought it. Now I was eager to try something utilizing it. Finally yesterday I decided to try out bread again. I referred a multiple recipes and then mixing all, followed the one below which yields 12 buns or rolls.
- 4 cups sifted all purpose flour
- 3 packets active dry yeast or around 2 tbsp
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- Butter & milk for brushing
- Add salt, sugar and yeast to warm water, mix and allow it to stand for 10 mins or till it turns frothy.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, butter and water. In case you using a stand mixer, use the dough hook and run the stir mode for a minute for mixing.
- Knead into a soft dough by adding the yeast mixture only as much required to form the dough. I required somewhere between 1/3 -1/2 cup. If using stand mixer, run the mixture on medium speed till the dough is formed which takes around 5-10 mins.
- Dust bowl with plain flour and allow the dough to stand in it for an hour covered with a damp cloth. This is proofing.
- After an hour you will notice that the dough has doubled up in size. Punch this for 2 mins using greased palms.
- Divide this dough into 12 round smooth balls. Place them in a greased tray allowing a half inch space between them. I made 8 of them into round balls and remaining four I rolled each into a strand and turned them into a knotted 8 shape to bake it into a dinner roll.
- Again allow them to stand covered for half an hour. They will again double up.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Brush each roll with milk. You can even use egg wash instead of milk.
- Bake for 45 mins or till the acquire slight brown color.
- Remove them and brush again with butter to give a shiny appearance.
- Enjoy the rolls with butter for breakfast or can we had with a spicy curry for the meals.