I would love to share the Goan version of Garam Masala or the curry masala used in most of my savory dishes. The recipe is passed to me by my mother.
- 200 gms coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp cloves
- 10 Kashmiri red chillies (These are used only to give red color to the masala and does not enhance or give any spicy taste)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp fennel seeds*
- 1 nutmeg
- 2 tbsp star anise
- 1 tsp poppy seeds*
- 2 long sticks of turmeric
- 1 tbsp metal mace*
- Dry roast all the spices one by one and keep them aside to cool.
- Please remember to roast the spices marked with (*) at the last.
- Roast all on medium-low flame.
- Once they cool down, grind them to a fine powder in a mixer-blender or a coffee/spice blender.