As I had already mentioned in my previous blog on dal panchmel that I have a craving for variations of dal preparations.
I wanted to prepare such a dish which would be healthy and serve both as a curry with rice or as a side dish which goes well with roti/chapati.
- 1 bunch of spinach or 1/2 packet of baby spinach, washed & cleaned
- 1/3-1/2 cup split green gram (moong dal), washed & soaked for at least 30 mins
- 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch ginger piece, grated
- 3/4 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 small lemon
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 1/4-1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- red chilli powder if required
- Boil the dal along with tomato for 4-5 whistles.
- Chop the spinach leaves.
- In a pan, heat oil. Once hot, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, garlic, green chillies, turmeric powder.
- Once the garlic is slightly brown, add the onion.
- Cook till the onion till soft and transparent by adding little salt.
- Then add the spinach and allow to cook.
- Add the cooked dal and tomato mixture and also salt as per taste.
- Mix well and add water if required to adjust consistency.
- Check the taste and add turmeric and red chilli powder if required.
- Add the lemon juice. Dal Palak is ready to served.