Salad bhaaji is one of the quickest and easiest sabji to prepare and liked by all at home. It utilizes the readily available vegetables in any household. It is one of the commonly available and relished sabji in most cafes (khaanawal) in Goa, India. Goans usually enjoy it with pav (bread bun) but it can also be had with rotis, phulkas or chapatis.
- 2 small onions, cut length wise
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, cut length wise
- 5-8 curry leaves
- few sprigs of coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 2-3 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a non-stick saucepan, heat oil.
- To it add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves and green chillies.
- Once they begin to flutter, add the onion and saute till soft and transparent. (you can add a little salt while adding onion as it helps in faster cooking of the onion)
- Then add the tomatoes and cover and allow it to cook on low flame. Add a little water to aid in cooking.
- Then once the tomatoes are soft, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt as per taste.
- Mix well and allow to cook till little water remains and the dish is not completely dry.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and switch off the gas.
- Serve hot with roti, phulkas, chapatis or pav.