A week more and my parents will be travelling back to India. I always aimed to give them or cook most of the items which they usually wont get readily or not intend to buy back home in India.
I had some mix of white candy melt with a little shortening left with me out of the batch I had prepared for the Princess theme birthday cake. Cream cheese frosting is what I had not tasted or tried before and I have heard that it goes well with red velvet cake. So instead of preparing usual cupcakes or cake, I planned to make cake pops. I recipe is inspired by the joy of baking video. It is a red velvet cake pop with cream cheese filling and white chocolate coated decorated with red sugar sprinklers.
For the cake :
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour ( If cake flour is not readily available, then use 1/2 cup + 2 1/4 tsp all-purpose flour and 1 tbsp + 3/4 tsp corn flour)
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup +2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 large beaten egg, at room temp.
- 1/4 cup butter milk ( I used 1/4 cup whole milk, to it added 1 tsp lemon juice and allowed it to stand for 5-10 mins)
- 2 tsp liquid Red food coloring
- 1/4 tsp vinegar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
For the cream cheese frosting :
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, at room temp
- 1/2 -3/4 cup confectionary sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the white chocolate coating :
- 1 cup white or vanilla candy melts
- 1 -2 tsp vegetable shortening
- red sugar sprinklers
For the cake pop assembly :
- 12-15 lollipop sticks
- a styrofoam or thermocol block
- Pre-heat oven at 350 F and grease a 6 inch round cake pan.
- In a bowl, sift the cake flour(all-purpose flour plus corn flour), salt, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter till smooth and creamy.
- To this add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat again for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and beat till well combined.
- Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl at regular intervals while beating.
- Add the food coloring to the butter milk and whisk well.
- Add the flour mix in 3 parts and buttermilk mix in 2 parts, alternating each and beating at low-speed.(begin and end with the flour mix)
- In a small cup, combine the vinegar and baking soda and allow to fizz. Quickly fold this into the batter.
- Then quickly pour the mix into the greased pan and spread the batter evenly. Tap the pan on the counter top to release any air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake the cake in the pre-heated oven for 25-30 mins or till a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely on a wire rack and remove to carefully from the pan.
- In the mean while, in another clean mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed until smooth.
- To this add the sugar in parts and continue to beat.
- Lastly add the vanilla extract and beat again once till well incorporated.
- In a large bowl, crush the cake into small crumbs. To this add just enough frosting to hold the mixture together.(The frosting needs to be just right not little that the ball falls apart nor too much that the ball becomes soggy. i used approximately 1/4-1/2 cup of frosting)
- Gradually work the frosting into the crumbs.
- Make golf-size balls out of this mix. You should get approximately 12 balls.
- Place them in a tray lined with parchment paper. Place the tray in the freezer for around 15 mins.
- Melt the white candy melts along with the shortening in a glass bowl in microwave for 1-2 mins at intervals of 30 seconds, stirring in between. (Addition of shortening helps to give a smooth finish)
- Remove the balls from the freezer. Dip each lollipop stick tip into the melted chocolate and shake well to remove the excess.
- Then insert this stick into the ball, right in the middle, half way through. Repeat for rest of the balls. Again place them in the tray and place them in the freezer for another 15 minutes.
- Then coat each cake ball with melted white chocolate, by dipping and rolling into the melted chocolate. Tap while turning the stick to remove the excess chocolate. (In case, the chocolate has become dry and thick, then you can microwave it for another 30 seconds and give it a stir)
- Then sprinkle the red sugar on the ball rotating cake pop, while the chocolate is still melted.
- Pierce the cake pop stick into the styrofoam block and allow it to dry.
- Repeat for rest of the cake pops. Your cake pops are ready. They can be eaten right away or refrigerated for 3-4 days.