Strawberry picking is currently out of season. However, strawberries are still on sale in the farm markets till stock lasts. While exploring the farm market, I picked up a box of strawberries thinking I could use them in preparing the filling for macarons or some flavored buttercream or whipped frosting.
I decided to prepare strawberry jam from these and so explored a lot many recipes. Most used an artificial agent pectin to turn the fruit mash into a jelly based item. However I wanted to avoid it. Instead, increased the cooking time so that the jam sets.
- 1 lb(454 gms) strawberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
- Discard the spoilt or about to get spoilt strawberries.Wash rest of the strawberries thoroughly. Cut the stem and leaves. Chop the selected strawberries into pieces.
- Put them in a blender and make into puree.
- In a non-stick saucepan, mix the strawberry puree, sugar and lemon juice.
- Heat on medium flame till boiling hot. Keep stiring continuously.
- Cook till the mixture thickens and starts leaving the sides. To check if the jam has reached the right consistency, take a bowl of water and put a drop of jam in it. If the jam settles at the bottom of the bowl and stays as a drop, it means the jam has begin to set.
- Put off the flame and pour the jam in a glass jar which had been sterlized well (the bottle and the lid).
- Enjoy the jam with bread or crackers.