As I had mentioned in the Puranpoli recipe that I would be soon posting another stuffed tortilla recipe. So here I have come up with Saanjori – ‘Saanjo or Saano‘ means dessert made from slightly butter roasted semolina (most commonly known as Sheera or Sooji Halwa) stuffed into ‘Puri’ – tortilla or mini tortilla.
So here goes the recipe!
For the Semolina dessert/Sheera :
- 1 cup semolina
- 2 cups hot boiling water
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 big banana or 2 elaichi bananas/small bananas (Optional)
- 2 1/2 tbsp ghee (melted butter)
- few strands of saffron (optional)
For the covering :
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour or wheat flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 5-6 tbsp ghee (melted butter)
- Mix the ingredients for the covering and knead into a soft dough using water as required. Cover and keep aside the dough.
- In a non stick pan, heat ghee. Add the semolina and fry for few minutes. Do not allow the semolina to turn brown.
- Add the saffron and mix well.
- Add the hot water to the semolina. Close the lid and let it cook.
- Once the water is a little evaporated but not completely dry, mash the banana and add to the softened semolina.
- Then add sugar and salt. Mix well and check the taste.
- When almost about to dry, add the cardamom powder and turn off the gas.
- The sheera stuffing is now ready. Allow it to cool.
- Take a golf ball size amount of dough and roll into a small disc.
- Take a small ball of sheera and put it in the middle of the dough disc.
- Cover the sheera ball joining the edges of the dough disc which will turn again into a ball.
- Roll this ball again into a disc.
- Fry on hot griddle applying ghee on either sides.
- Repeat for rest of the dough and sheera.