Mondays are usually vegetarian at our place. But just like kids, I don’t like vegetables much. At the same time, I am very petite and want to put on weight. My mum told me that eating cheese can increase weight. So thought I should include cheese in my diet. However, eating too much of cheese is also unhealthy.
So thought lets add something healthy to unhealthy and prepare some snacks. Here is the recipe for cheesy spinach bites
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- salt as per taste
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1-2 tsp red chilli flakes
- flour for coating
- cornflour batter for coating (batter needs to be of dropping consistency)
- Heat water in a vessel. Once it boils, add the spinach into it. It will get cooked and you will achieve blanched spinach. Drain the blanched spinach.
- In another vessel, add cream cheese, blanched spinach, mozzarella, pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, chilli flakes and salt as per taste. Mix well and form a thick batter.
- Take a plate and place a cling wrap on it. Spread the batter in square shape such that it is around 1/2 inch thick (It should like a slab). Wrap the slab in the cling wrap and refrigerate for minimum 30 minutes.
- Remove the slab from the cling wrap and cut into bite size squares.
- Take each square roll in the flour, then dip in the cornflour batter and coat with breadcrumbs. Roll the bite size square again in the cornflour batter and coat again in bread crumbs. Repeat for all other pieces.
- Heat an appe pan (the one I used to make Cheese Bread Oats pops) with 1-2 drops of oil in each hole.
- Put one piece in each hole and fry on all sides till brown.
- Cheesy Spinach bites are ready. Serve them hot with spicy ketchup.
Note : 1) Instead of cornflour batter, you can use beaten egg as well. 2) While frying, there is a tendency that the cheese might ooze out in spite of double coating. But that’s acceptable for me at least 😉