Just like prawn rissois, chicken roll has been my favorite since childhood. I think it was one of the first bakery items my parents had given me to taste along with cupcakes. Pasteralia chicken roll was my favorite then and had set the standard for my taste buds. As years passed by different pastry shops emerged and they invented many more varieties of chicken rolls like chicken tikka roll, cafreal roll, etc and the initial chicken salad mayonnaise roll faded away.
Few years back while I was in Pune seeking my career, my husband introduced me to a cafe named Skips which served various breakfast platters. One of them was the chicken roll platter, after eating which I felt nostalgic. I was always under the impression that chicken roll was a western dish. However, I never found any roll here in US take would again make me feel nostalgic.
Here I shall share my recipe in an attempt to prepare the same Chicken salad mayonnaise roll with Indian touch.
- 200 gms of boneless chicken pieces
- One big leaf of cabbage or lettuce
- 4 small bread roll buns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/8 medium-sized capsicum, chopped
- 1/2 medium-sized carrot, cut lengthwise and fine
- 1/4-1/2 cup cabbage, shredded finely
- few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise
- salt as per taste
- 1 tsp red chilli sauce
- 1 tsp green chilli sauce
- 1/2 tsp italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder
- Boil chicken breast pieces with italian herbs, pepper powder and salt. (Take enough water for boiling and boil till water is reduced to bare minimum. This will cook the chicken and make it soft.)
- Shred the boiled chicken.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Saute the onion and ginger garlic paste till onion become transparent and paste turns little brown.
- To it add carrot, capsicum, and cabbage and saute well.
- Once cooked, add red chilli and green chilli sauce and mix well.
- Now add the shredded chicken pieces. Then add salt and pepper powder as per taste.(Remember that you had already put some while boiling chicken, so add accordingly.)
- Check the taste and add seasoning if required. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Allow the filling to cool.
- Meanwhile, make slits into the bread bun rolls and apply butter to the inner sides of the rolls.
- Take a piece of cabbage or lettuce leaf and spread it inside the roll.
- In the filling, add mayonnaise (as much as required) and mix.
- Take 1-2 spoonful of the filling and stuff inside the bun roll either above or below the leaf. Enjoy!!
Note: Some like the veggies to remain crunchy so while you saute the veggies leave them half cooked.