Usually recipes for pancakes use all-purpose flour or maida and probably pancakes prepared with all purpose flour are tastier not healthier though..I like baking cakes and cookies which mostly use all purpose flour. So I thought of finding an alternative for maida here, so as to compensate the maida usage. Health is priority without compromising much on taste 🙂
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-4 tsp sugar (powdered)
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tbsp vinegar (or 1 tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- maple or breakfast syrup as accompaniment
- little butter for garnish
- Mix dry ingredients together. Incase, you intend to serve the pancakes with maple syrup, the 2-3 tsp of sugar would suffice. But if you intend to serve it plain, then you can increase the sugar quantity as per your taste (atleast 4 tsp).
- If you have buttermilk readily available, then use one cup of it. If not then as a substitute take a cup of milk and add to it 1 tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice and set it aside for few minutes. Then add this to the egg , to it add melted butter and whisk.
- Add the liquid ingredients mixture to the dry ingredient mixture and mix them well to form a smooth non-lumpy batter.
- In a non-stick thick bottom pan, apply little butter. Once hot, pour a laddle full of batter into the pan and spread it to form a circular disc.
- Flip it over, once it turns brown on one side. Allow it to cook on other side as well.
- Make around 2-3 pancakes in the same manner and stack them one over the other. Serve the pancake stack with maple or breakfast syrup and little butter.